Thursday, 21 June 2012

Tea For NINE: The Chesterfield, Mayfair

On Saturday I went for afternoon tea at The Chesterfield as part of a friend's hen party celebrations. The hotel is in the heart of Mayfair and has an "Award for Excellence" from The Tea Guild so I had high expectations.

We had to wait a while for our table despite having booked it and mentioned that we would be a group of nine. Once we were seated in the conservatory room it was clear that we were by far the largest group there, most of the other tables were two or four people but this was quite a civilised hen party so I don't think we disturbed anyone's tranquil afternoons! Having already had champagne before our tea, we opted for the The Chesterfield Traditional Afternoon Tea at £28.50 per person but there is a champagne, chocolate lover's and children's afternoon tea to take your pick from.

The choice of teas was really good, I opted for a pretty Jasmine and Lily flowering tea:

Photobucket

Photobucket

When our tea platters arrived we were presented with three tierred stands of cakes, scones and sandwiches. Everything on the platters was replenishable which was great as not every afternoon tea offers this and it made up for only having three platters between us when I would have expected one platter to be for two people.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The sandwiches were the usual cucumber, smoked salmon and egg with circular chicken and hazelnut sandwiches on top which were my favourite. Scones came in both plain and raisin varieties with the usual jam and clotted cream and there was a selection of cakes - fruit cake, banoffee cheesecake, chocolate eclair, lemon cupcake and a strawberry tart. The food was all lovely, not outstandingly good but high quality and very filling. There was nothing that particularly stood out to mark it out from other afternoon teas that I've had. The service was pretty average, we had to ask for more tea rather than it just being replaced throughout the sitting and a friend who ordered the Chocolate Lover's Tea had to ask to have the chocolate scones and cakes brought out as they seemed to have been forgotten.

With so many places now offering afternoon tea little touches make all the difference. The Chesterfield's afternoon tea is very traditional and venue was really lovely but I think a group of nine might have been a little too much to maintain the high standards of service that the hotel is known for. I would go back though, although with a smaller group and more time to savour what is on offer as as soon as our scones were eaten we were off to Soho for a two hour kareoke session.

What makes an afternoon tea experience stand out for you?
Share:

7 comments

  1. Wow that tea looks so fancy! I've never been for afternoon tea but it looks like great fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite the afternoon tea fan as well, and I am always looking for new places in Mayfair to go (I use the Tea Guild reviews to choose too!) so I am going to add this to my list. I love the sound of the Chicken & Hazlenut sandwiches plus the cakes are quite an unusual but delicious sounding selection. I love that they replenish, as you said, not everywhere does this and the only other I have been to that has was The Ritz afternoon tea. Thanks for such an excellent review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of afternoon tea. It all looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fab, I'm having afternoon tea today for my charity's AGM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that all looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great review, I've always wanted to go as tea is one of my favourite things - I think I'd just go with one other person though. Hope you had a nice time :) x

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig