Saturday, 9 June 2012

Graduation Take 2

Last week I graduated for the second (and almost certainly last) time. I finished law school last August but graduation took place last week at the beautiful London Guildhall, fortunately before the weather turned wintery.

For my last graduation I wore a plain black dress but this time I wanted something a little more colourful as black dresses can get lost under the black graduation robes. Ideally, you should wear something with buttons on so that the hood has something to fix onto but its nothing that a couple of safety pins or hairgrips (and someone to help pin everything together) can't solve. One last tip - you're probably going to have the photos around for a while and your parents might show them to friends and family so avoid anything that is going to be "last season" by September or that isn't in keeping with a formal event (a girl at my university graduation wore jeans). I picked up my dress in the Oasis sale for £20, it's maybe a little more "Kate Middleton" than my usual style but I thought it was graduation appropriate and a good bargain.

Photobucket

After arriving at the venue and sorting out my outfit (the hat is definitely worth getting hat hair for) and getting professional photos taken it was time for the ceremony. I think I enjoyed the walking across the stage part a little more this time as I knew what to expect and I was wearing slightly more sensible shoes (4 inch rather than 6 inch heels). After a champagne reception and a few more outdoor photographs the gown and hat were sadly returned and my parents and I went off to the Royal Exchange for a celebratory lunch.

Photobucket

How the professional photo should look, lining up to go on stage, photos in the sun.

I guess this really does mark the end of my student days. I don't miss exams and revision but there are aspects of student life that I do miss a lot. Now I feel like one of those sad old adults but if you are still a student, I'm envious - make the most of it!

Are any of you graduating this year?
Share:

14 comments

  1. congrats on graduation number two! I am hoping that I will have my second graduation early next year, fingers crossed!

    I absolutely loved the dress you wore - we had to wear black and white at ours, but I love the idea of something more colourful instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress, you look beautiful....Big congratulations
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty dres! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look beautiful! Such a nice dress :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm graduating in two weeks and still don't have a dress i'm allowed black and nothing is catching my eye. eeek.

    congrats btw! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I graduated three years ago and I was so excited that day. You should be so proud of yourself girl! A lot of people don't make it to the end. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on graduating!! And the dress was absolutely perfect for the event. (my grad dress was probably a bit too low cut).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lily you look gorgeous! And £20 is a complete bargain, I think you pull off the Kate Middleton look fabulously!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Such a lovely outfit. My graduation was at Westminster Abbey back in 2007 and I got my gown caught as I was walking down the steps and had to reverse and untangle myself haha the shame! All caught on camera too :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I loved my graduation days, I've had two as well I only wish I'd dressed a bit better and got a lovely dress like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Lily! I absolutely love this dress...one of my favourite ones that you own! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on graduation, you look so lovely in your dress and you are totally rockin' the cap and gown! I graduated 3 years ago and I hated wearing the gap and gown!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on graduation number 2! You looked beautiful in your graduation photos x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig