Thursday, 24 May 2012

Gelish Nails

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to painting my nails. I go through phases of painting them regularly and then weeks go by when I just can't be bothered. I've had Gelish/Shellac nails twice in the past and really like how long-lasting and effort free they are.

This time I visited St James Hair and Beauty for a Gelish manicure and pedicure. I had a black tie event that evening and wanted to treat myself to nice nails as I was wearing a dress that I'd worn before. The colour range of Gelish is quite limited and as they last for a while I find its best to pick something that won't clash with what you wear and that you won't get sick of looking at! I picked a bright pink as I'm really pale and pastels/neutrals don't suit me.

The manicure and pedicure that come with Gelish nails is not particularly pampering or relaxing. Soaking the nails first or using oils/creams is bad for the gel polish so its just a quick file, buff and cuticle tidy but it does the job. Nails are prepared with a basecoat and then layers of colour and top coat are applied, setting each for 60 seconds under a UV lamp. The whole process took just over an hour for my hands and feet.

The best thing about Gelish is that the nail polish is instantly dry. It's weird at first as your brain wants to tell you that the polish is wet! No sitting around waiting for it to dry or spending the next couple of hours too scared to touch anything in case you smudge a £20 manicure. My manicure lasted over two weeks before the edges of the polish started to peel. I half picked/half soaked it off and while my nails did look a little dry there was no lasting damage. My pedicure is still going strong three and a half weeks later!

Newly painted:

Photobucket

One week later:

Photobucket

Two weeks later:

Photobucket

Close up:

Photobucket

I'd definitely recommend Gelish for a low maintenance, long lasting manicure/pedicure. Its perfect if you have a big event to go to or are off on holiday. If you're someone who likes to change their nail polish regularly then it may not be ideal as you are stuck with the same shade for a while but for me this far outweighs all the effort of painting my own nails and waiting around for them to dry!

Have you tried Gelish?

PS. I paid £19 for my main/pedi on KGB deals. The full cost would have been £80 but there do seem to be a lot of these sorts of deals on Wahanda and Groupon too so its worth keeping your eyes open for one if you want to try this!
Share:

17 comments

  1. It last well, this is impressive and I love the color you chose. However my nails growing ridiculously fast (one week of growth resemble two weeks of yours), I'm not sure I'd be happy with big gutters at the base after 10 days. Just because of that, I'm sure to stick to the traditional form of polish. Plus I love to paint them myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my nails grew faster but slow growing nails is definitely an advantage for gel manicures. You are amazing at nail painting, your nails always look pristine whereas I always seem to make a total mess of mine when I paint them myself!

      Delete
  2. Looks fab! I've never heard of a Gel manicure, but it sounds perfect to me. I've been known to be too lazy to put on/take off nail polish. And I love that it lasts so long. I often don't do my nails for holidays as I like to be low maintenance with them, so I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to get it for my next holiday, normal nail polish just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the heat but hopefully this would last.

      Delete
  3. That's amazing and I can't believe it lasted that long and still looked fresh! Great if you can get it on the deal as you did, not sure I would fork out £80 for it. Still loves lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would pay the full price for it but on a deal its great value!

      Delete
  4. That looks so good! I want to try it. It still looks good, better than my nails do after like a few days. Some of my friends did it before a big trip, some people have a harder time with it, but I think thats just the type of person they are, they don't really keep their nails nice, ya know. Yours still look good.

    xo,
    camelia
    whateverismarveloustoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite careful with my nails as I wanted it to last as long as possible. I have quite short nails so I think that helped it last longer too.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of my nail polish lasting that long. Though if I had it done I would have to make sure I love the colour as I love changing my nails all the time! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choosing the colour is the hardest part! I'm always tempted to go for a crazy bright but have to remember that I'd be sick of looking at it after a few days!

      Delete
  6. These look great, my pet hate is nail colour that chips and those look perfect for avoiding that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nails look amazing, such a lush colour! I've been wanting to try gel nails for a while now but not sure I feel too happy about having the same colour for so many weeks when I have an insane amount of varnish. However, I am quite tempted to try them if I can find a good deal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying if you have a big nail varnish collection as you are stuck with the shade. Definitely worth a try if a deal comes up though! I love how it gives such a nice shiny finish that you just can't get with regular varnish.

      Delete
  8. Agreed, great shade choice! I had Gelish done for my wedding with nail extensions and I was so impressed with it, it was a beautiful finish and it lasted all through the 2 weeks of honeymoon flawlessly (and that was with swimming every day etc). I chose a pale neutral and when I got bored I just painted over the top of it- although you couldn't do with with a dark shade.I have seen advertised a gel manicure (called a 'Rockstar manicure?)- that might just been that salon- that is gel but glittery, which looks amazing.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig