Sunday, 22 April 2012

Tea For Two: Chocolate Afternoon Tea - Podium Park Lane

As an avid reader of Stylist and its daily Emerald Street email, I couldn't resist booking myself and a friend a 2 for 1 afternoon tea at Podium Park Lane. Podium offer a chocolate afternoon tea which sounded like a fun take on a traditional afternoon tea, I was convinced to book it as soon as I read that it would be served on a chocolate plate. That sounded like a challenge right there.

My friend and I both chose white tea to accompany our chocolate feast which was really refreshing and a good compliment to all the sweetness that was to come. The staff were really good at constantly replenishing our tea supply, I think we got through four pots during the four hours that we were there! The staff were attentive but happy to leave us to it which was lovely and it came as a bit of a shock when we realised that we'd been there so long as we weren't rushed at all.

Our sandwiches came first, separately to the rest of the tea. Our waitress checked that we were happy with all the suggested fillings first and also gave us a choice of the type of scone we wanted. I liked how these were open sandwiches rather than traditional finger ones:

Photobucket

After the sandwiches we were presented with the main event, a beautiful three-tier platter of scones, cakes and finally a chocolate plate with sweet treats on top.

We started with the scones, we chose to have a mix of chocolate chip and raisin. I'm not usually a fan of scones but these were the best I've ever tried - still warm and with a lovely light texture. The velvety strawberry jam and praline chocolate spread they were served with were delicious:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next tier featured a vanilla and red velvet cupcake, a rather luminous battenburg and a mini slice of Sachertorte. The cupcakes were my favourite, they had a 50/50 split of cake and icing!

Photobucket

Finally, we made it to the top layer. A pistachio macaroon, a profiterole, a cherry and white chocolate cake and lollies in a shot glass of coloured sugar. All served on a chocolate plate:

Photobucket

The chocolate plate was so thick and had three solid chocolate "legs". The chocolate was incredibly strong so we only managed a tiny bit of it but it was a nice touch and we could have had the plate to go in a doggie bag if we weren't feeling so sugared out by the end.

This was a lovely afternoon tea with a twist and definitely one for chocolate fans.

What's your favourite afternoon tea spot?
Share:

17 comments

  1. wow this looks so yummy!! Now I'm hungry lol :)
    great Sunday post ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an incredible afternoon tea. I'm a chocoholic, so need to try this out. I want to do a lot more afternoon teas this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate plate is definitely one for a true chocoholic!

      Delete
  3. That looks incredible! I don't do afternoon tea nearly as much as I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I wish I could go more often, deals like this definitely help!

      Delete
  4. This sound amazing! I'm subscrived to Emerald Street but I don't always read it - definitely going to start paing more attention from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sometimes have some really good deals and I love the suggestions of places to eat although I think they all sound good!

      Delete
  5. oh wow - that all looks amazing! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I think the chocolate praline spread was my favourite...kinda glad it isn't sold in jars!

      Delete
  6. Those cupcakes look so heavenly! There's a lot of variety too!
    I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it!

    Love from, THE EASTERN PEARL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks amazing. It's so cool that they actually serve it on a chocolate plate. Will definitely keep them in mind next time I go for afternoon tea x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love afternoon tea! If i ruled the world I would make it compulsory ha. I really like the loo of the open sandwiches xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig