Wednesday, 7 March 2012

This Must Stop

My name is Lily and I'm an impulse buyer.

I just can't help it. I have items in my wardrobe that still have the tags on them. New purchases often remain in carrier bags for over a week before I remember that a) I bought them and b) I need to put them away. Parcels arrive from ASOS that I don't remember ordering (I like to think I have a secret admirer buying me clothes until I check my bank balance). All of these purchases seem absolutely essential at the time. Who cares that I don't have anywhere to wear a gold lamé dress. Of course I need another pair of denim shorts when I already have five. And this dress is only £12 in the sale, it'd be a crime not to buy it.

Repeating the above for the past five years has resulted in my having three wardrobes bursting full of clothes, two chests of drawers and more shoes than I know where to put. This must stop.

Photobucket
One of the wardrobes, yesterday evening.

So, I'm setting myself some rules:

1. I will not buy any clothes/accessories/make-up at all.

2. I will take one black bin liner worth of things I don't wear to the charity shop and ebay anything ebay-able.

3. I will not impulse buy, buy things because they are on sale or "treat myself" with purchases if I've had a stressful week.

4. I will put all the money I've saved into a "New York Shopping Fund" account to sensibly treat myself to some new buys when I'm in NYC in July.


So, five months without impulse buying awaits. I really, really hope I can do it. I'll hopefully save lots of money, have a big clear-out and find some items that I've forgotten I even owned in the process. I've already got off to a good start, I listed these items on ebay and survived a visit to Topshop Oxford Circus and Monki before LDN Lunch without buying a thing.

Are you an impulse buyer? Or do you carefully plan and save for your splurges?

PS. I wrote this humorously, I don't have a full blown problem "shopping addiction" but I do think that we should all think about our spending and consumerist urges a little. But not too much, if you have the money and want to spend it on impulse purchases then by all means do, shopping is and should be fun. Just don't take out those awful store cards with 30% APRs and get into debt over spring/summer's pastel delights. Because debt is not fun at all and no amount of clothes are worth it.
Share:

9 comments

  1. Oh Lily, I completely and utterly understand you!!! My closet does not close - the name is the irony I guess! It's a sad truth but shopping makes me happy and it's a well welcomed treat after feeling like crap. Good luck with your rules! I really need to start something like this. From now on, I won't buy beauty products - I have so many I don't actually use, I need to de-clutter! :)

    mademoiselle-lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same situation as you! My cupboards are bursting with new purchases, but I hardly wear a lot of the stuff I have. Although, I could never go on a full on shopping ban, I will be joining you in trying to cut down my spending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through the same thing at the moment, Half my things are in suitcases as they won't fit any where else.
    I set my self some very similar goals just the other day lol
    I hope all goes well
    Kiwi..x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASOS always get some of my money every month. It's like a really bad saving account that urrr doesn't save!
    Fair play to you and keep us up to date on how you get on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good idea! I'm trying to be more sensible with spending too :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do both, which is bizarre - I'll see stuff I like and wait...and plan...and wait...sometimes it goes out of stock, then sometimes I just buy it. Then other times I'm just like BUY BUY BUY, I get caught up in it and once I start I can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tagged you in my 11 questions post xoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be an impulse uyer but over the years this has calmed down a lot and I like to think about what I am buying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem! My wardrobe is bulging and I have a huge pile of stuff to put on Ebay when I get the time/can be bothered but I always have to have the latest must have items! Good luck with curbing your shopping x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig