Friday, 16 March 2012

High Brow

My eyebrows and I have not always got along. When I was younger I used to get teased for having dark, thick brows which contrasted rather oddly with my blonde hair. I wasn't allowed to pluck them at the time but fate intervened and one Christmas, when I as twelve or thirteen, my Christmas cracker gift was a pair of gold tweezers in a plastic lilac case. While most people would've been disappointed to get tweezers in a cracker, I was thrilled. I secreted them in my bedroom and whenever I knew my parents were out I'd get to work on plucking my eyebrows. Those were the days.

These days, I more often get complimented on my brows rather than laughed at for them but the relationship with my eyebrows is still less than perfect. I spend more time taming and obsessing over them than anyone would guess. They grow ridiculously fast and need a daily plucking session although these days I've graduated to Tweezerman tweezers. I almost had a heart attack the other day when I misplaced them, such is their importance in my routine. I get my brows threaded every 2-3 months to tidy up the overall shape which gives them a really clean, defined look as well as getting rid of all the fine hairs which tweezers never seem to tackle.

I've also discovered brow products to help enhance and tame my eyebrows. My favourites are Benefit's Browzings and Rimmel eyebrow pencil in Hazel. I use the pencil when I'm in a rush and the Benefit powder and wax when I have a little more time. It's amazing what a difference filling in and little gaps and building up the sparser ends of my brows makes to my entire face. It seems to make me look instantly more groomed without wearing any obvious make-up. And don't worry, I'm not going to be going for the Scouse brow look any time soon...

Photobucket

Make-up:
Face: YSL Touche Eclat, 17 Pressed Powder, Topshop Blusher in High Five, L'Oreal GlamBronze in Blonde. Eyes: Mac Paintpot in Rubenesque, L'Oreal Superliner Carbon Gloss, L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara, Benefit Eyebright, Benefit Browzings in Light. Lips: Viva Glam Gaga

Dress: Primark
Share:

19 comments

  1. Love your eyebrows, I can relate to your story myself! I found the gosh eyebrow felt tip pen to work especially well and it's so quick to apply, great as its part of my morning routine! I used to pluck mine a lot...too much! Now I allow them to be a bit thicker :)

    Karys x
    Whoisgrumblebeard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give the Gosh eyebrow pen a try next! x

      Delete
  2. I've never used an eyebrow pencil before, you have lovely eye brows btw :)

    great post.

    http://beautyaddictsguidetothegalaxy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the rimmel eyebrow pencil in dark brown/ black everyday & I absolutely love it. Great value for money :)

    lippyinlondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great!! I love using Sleek brow kit <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have beautiful eyebrows, Lily! I need to control mine more. I get them threaded every now and then, but I'm far too lazy to tweeze regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine just grow far too fast. I need to get into more of a routine with threading as that might help tame them more! x

      Delete
  6. Your eyebrows look gorgeous, they frame your face really well. I'm such a fan of strong, defined eyebrows. And Tweezerman tweezers are amazing, I couldn't live without them!

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brows as well! I started off with an old Revlon kit, upgraded to the Vivo version and I'm now using an HD Brows palette. I saw Sara Walker on youtube talking about the Illamsaqua Brow Cakes this morning...I think I'll have to try those soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am jealous of your eyebrows- seriously jealous.com. And I am also jealous of your eyelashes- seriously Lily how long!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so funny the things we hate about ourselves are so often the things that other preople love - I've always thought you've had amazing eyebrows! So much better to have proper brows than to have to draw them on! Your eye makeup always looks so refined and perfect as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I think we focus on what we perceive as "flaws" far too much! x

      Delete
  10. You have gorgeous brows! Mine were always so thick too; like slugs planted on my forhead - not a good look! I love benefit browzings, definitely my must have brow product! Great post :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eyebrows are a funny thing aren't they! Thanks for the tips though, will definitely have a look at those products x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had well well defined eyebrows like yours- mine are neither here or there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!

    Love the post... I hate my eyebrows lol. Definitely inspires me to do something about it right now.

    Just wanted to let you know I've moved my blog! Please check it out and if you could refollow my new blog A Whimsy Heart that would be awesome!!

    Thanks!


    Love Txx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually think your eyebrows look great! Mine are terrible - really light, so I have to darken them as my hair is light brown and it looks really strange with almost blonde eyebrows! And I love the shape of yours as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your eyebrows look great! Mine are quite light compared to my hair, but I always look ridiculous if I try and pencil them in!
    Just need to keep trying 'til I find my perfect product I suppose :)

    http://emmerliejay.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate my brows! I think they are no shape and so boring! I think arched brows are soooo pretty ):

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig