Thursday, 9 February 2012

Travel Journal: Florence

I've recently returned from a mini-break to Florence. January may be a bit of a strange time to take a holiday but it was actually really nice to have something to look forward to once all the Christmas decorations were packed away and going off-season meant that there were no queues and crowds of tourists everywhere. Flights and hotels are also a lot cheaper - I ended up paying around £140 for flights (EasyJet) and four nights in a 3* hotel which is half of what I've paid for European mini-breaks in the summer.

It was quite cold but now way near as bad as London is right now! I never, ever wear trousers so while I might have been a little cold in my shorts and skirts I was very good and stuck to sensible flat shoes which was definitely a good decision as I walked absolutely everywhere! I love walking around a new city, it's the best way to soak up the atmosphere and means that I can try a few of the local treat foods as I know I've already burnt them off with all the walking!

Here are my highlights:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The view from the top of the bell tower. If you do visit the Duomo - go up the bell tower rather than the dome, it's much cheaper and practically the same view!

Photobucket

The Ponte Vecchio. Such a pretty bridge packed with tiny jewelry shops.

Photobucket

Pisa is one hour by train from Florence. Worth it for a chance to take the standard tourist picture.

Photobucket

Outside Puccini's house in Lucca.

Photobucket

Warming up with real Italian hot chocolate (I had to eat it with the spoon as it was too thick to drink!) after a day's sightseeing.

Have you been to Florence? What's your favourite mini-break destination?
Share:

11 comments

  1. Florence is beautiful, one of my favourite places on earth! I'm glad you enjoyed it, its such an amazing place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos! I would love to visit xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely, hot chocolate is like that in Paris, must be a European thing... tasty nonetheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures, sounds like you had a great time! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah it looks like you had a wonderful time! I've always wanted to visit Florence :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are beautiful! It looks like an amazing city!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such a lovely holiday. Florence looks beautiful. I've always wanted to visit. Also, love the picture of you and the leaning tower of Pisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Florence looks like such a lovely place. Bet that hot chocolate was so good xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went there a couple of years ago but it was in summer and actually it was like hell.... it was 40 degree(((

    very cute pictures!!!

    my blog: http://lepetitmuffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures!! I went there for summer it was beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Florence! I'm lucky enough to go there twice a year with work & I never get tired of it. x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig