Monday, 6 February 2012

Be My Valentine: GlossyBox

After 4 hours of buses, planes and trains to get back from a quite cold Florence to a omg-its-totally-freezing-cold London, I was greeting with a rather nice home-coming treat: February's GlossyBox.

I use the empty boxes to store some of my make-up collection so I love how this one is a lovely shade of hot pink. As soon as I opened the box (carefully keeping the heart sticker intact) I straightaway preferred this box to the last one I received (November's) as its much more make-up based. I've never paid for a GlossyBox with my own money so I find it a little odd how bloggers complain about freebies but there did seem to be some quite harsh reviews of November's. Personally I prefer the contents of this one but its inherent in the whole concept of these boxes that some are going to be "better" than others as you're not choosing the products or the shades yourself (the RayBox might be a better option if you want complete control over the products you receive).

My box:

Photobucket

1. Eyeko Skinny Eyeliner - I received this in Emerald Green which is a very wearable change from my usual black liner. The design of the pencil looks really sleek but I'm not sure what the purpose of the thin metal tip is - at first I thought if was to smudge the product with but I don't think that that would even work! Oh well, it's a nice eyeliner anyway.

2. Orly Nail Lacquer - I received this in Ruby which is a deep, blood red. I like the minature-sized bottle as I never manage to use up a whole bottle of nail polish before it goes all weird and gloopy. I like how I can wear this shade to work unlike the lime green polish that appeared in one of the earlier boxes and I'm excited to try a new brand.

3. Weleda One Step Cleaner and Toner - I've never used Weleda before but the packaging and product look expensive and have quite a "medical" look. The product has a strong, herbal scent which I wasn't expecting at all but as it contains natural ingredients I'm not worried about it making my skin freak out. I'll probably save this for a weekend away as all my other cleaners breach the 100ml allowance for flights.

4. Fab Gentle Body Wash - I always browse this brand in Boots, the packing and idea behind it is really different, so I was really happy to receive this in the box. I love trying out different shower products and this sounds like it will be really gentle on my dry winter skin. It doesn't have much of a fragrance so probably isn't one for you if you like heavily scented shower products.

5. Murad Skin Perfecting Primer - Murad is a brand that I don't know much about but as I'm currently obsessed with my Benefit primer I was really looking forward to trying this one. It promises a dewy finish which is something new for me although with the weather we've been having lately my usually shiny skin is really dry so probably could do with a dewy finish to perk it up a bit. I tried a bit of this on my hand and was disappointed to see that it comes out super-dark...I've read that it doesn't show once its applied and rubbed in though. Hopefully this is the case or it might be one that gets passed on to my mum!

What did you think of the February box? And do you prefer more make-up based or skincare-based boxes?
Share:

6 comments

  1. I had never heard of RayBox, but I think I like the spontaneity and surprise of Glossybox. I haven't signed up yet, but I plan to, I love the idea of a monthly treat :)

    Karys x
    whoisgrumblebeard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got exactly what you did, but I paid for mine. And I hate the fact that people got Clarins creams (day and night) and I got this stupid Weleda stuff. And the nail polish. I already have 3 of a similar shade... :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post I love hearing an honest opinion on products :) I hope you will follow my blog

    leopardinleather.blogspot.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try Glossy Box! :)

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...I wanna try it too!! You are just one step away from this $100 Giveaway :)

    Enter Boticca.com giveaway and win $100
    ♡ StylishByNature.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig