Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Foodie Heaven: Awana

Last weekend I lunched at Awana with my parents. We all agreed that it was an amazing meal so this is my little attempt at a restaurant review. This was my third visit to Awana. The restaurant comes up on Groupon quite frequently and every time I've been its been with a Groupon voucher. I paid £26 for a three course lunch for two so we also picked a few dishes from the a la carte menu as there were three of us.

After hungrily demolishing the Malaysian crackers on our table, I had squid from the Groupon menu to start:

Photobucket

This was really yummy, the squid was perfectly cooked and the dipping sauce was nice and spicy.

My mum had seafood tempura from the a la carte menu:

Photobucket

This was a huge portion so I stole a tempura scallop! My mum had never had tempura before and really enjoyed this.

For our mains, my mum and I had king prawn vermichelli noodles. My dad had the daily special but unfortunately started eating it before I could take a picture!

Photobucket

This was quite similar to my favourite yaki udon from Wagamama but I preferred the thinner noodles. This was a really generous portion and was so filling.

For dessert, my parents had the chocolate mousse trio from the Groupon menu:

Photobucket

I had a typical Malaysian dessert from the a la carte menu:

Photobucket

This was so good and really reminded me of the types of dessert I had when travelling in Japan. The base was adzuki beans in caramel, topped with crushed ice, coconut sauce and the green tapioca on top.

The service at Awana is great, attentive but not pushy and we weren't rushed out of the restaurant once we'd finished our meal. The prices on the a la carte menu are quite reasonable considering the quality of the food and the location of the restaurant (between South Ken and Sloane Square) - around £8 for a starter, £15 for a main and £6 for a dessert.

The food is full of amazing flavours and a little on the spicey side. It's all presented beautifully and there is a webcam in the kitchen linked to a TV screen in the bar area so you can see the chef at work! The menu has a lot of choice and there's a while section dedicated to vegetarian and vegan food which is great if you're dining with vegetarians and want to offer them something a little more exciting than a margarita pizza.

I will definitely be visiting Awana again, Groupon voucher or not!

Have you tried any Malaysian food?
Share:

10 comments

  1. I could easily eat all of that, I love seafood so this place seems perfect for me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me so hungry! haah x

    ug-liliy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD!! that looks amazing! making me so hungry! I have never tried Malaysian food but definatly want to after seeing these photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried Malaysian food but this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this all looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super hungry right now lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything with tempura tastes yummy! X

    mademoiselle-lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious, I love tempura its so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The food looks so yummy! I was too slow and indecisive last time Awana did a Groupon deal, but after seeing your photos, I'll definitely be buying the next one x

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I am salivating so much right now. I need & want to eat everything in these pictures.
    Suprisingly I haven't eaten Malaysian food before? I would love to try it though.
    Everything looks sooooo sooo yummy!! *jealous*

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig