Thursday, 13 October 2011

"I'd rather be working for a paycheck than waiting to win the lottery"

More work outfits today. I'm quite enjoying doing these posts - starting work has given me a whole new wardrobe to show off! I'm definitely of the belief that work attire does not have to involve sacrificing your personal style for frumpy suits and banning all colours other than black and grey from your wardrobe.

Today's first dress is probably one of the best bargains I've ever found - originally £165 from Whistles, I picked up this dress last winter for only £20 as two of the poppers were missing. The dress was totally fine apart from the missing poppers so a few pounds and my mother's sewing skills later it could have gone back on the rail for £165:

Photobucket

Dress: Whistles

I love the print of this dress and the structured style makes it work appropriate. I wore this before the weather suddenly turned autumnal and it'll definitely be making a re-appearance next spring!

My second dress is more of a typical "work dress":

Photobucket

Dress: Oasis

I love how this is really smart and simple but the red and cream detailing makes it a bit different. I'm a big fan of red accessories at the moment so I'm on the lookout for a pair of dark red heels to wear this with.

What's your best ever bargain?
I always check the damaged stock rails in more expensive stores. Some garments are probably beyond repair but buttons, poppers and zips are really inexpensive and easy to fix and you could end up something that would normally be a little out of your price range.
Share:

14 comments

  1. What a great bargain that whistles dress was! I think my best bargain was some Paul and Joe Sister Shoes off Urban Outfitters website for about £20 that I later sold on ebay for £40!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, your dress collection is definitely the most extensive I've ever known! A dress for all occasions should soooo be your catchphrase ;)

    My jaw dropped slightly when I got a good look at that Whistles dress. It is amazing. I'm super jealous of your luck when dress shopping!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Laura - wow, that's amazing to make a profit on a bargain!

    @ Tabitha - I might have to use that as my catchphrase!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you saved so much money that's awesome. I wish I wasn't so afraid of shopping at thrift shops because I"m kind of a germaphobe. Even after washing the clothing I still feel weird about wearing clothing someone else wore i don't know why. But those dresses is really nice!
    -Farrah
    Farrah's Muse

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look cute in this dress :-) such a nice blog!
    xx the cookies
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com
    share the feeling

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is definitely a great bargain!!! Yay for missing poppers.

    I love the second dress. It's perfect for work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dresses! My best bargain would have to be some Paul Smith shoes that I got for £35 in the sale at work. Definitely making the most of my staff discount! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Oasis dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I really like your blog.^^

    my blog♥mfashionfreak

    Please follow me if you're not already so I could make a GIVEAWAY. I'd love to get more followers! I'll follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a classic dress and such a brilliant price too xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these dresses and such bargains too!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. work style definitely shouldn't mean sacrificing personal style. i am in love with that first dress.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig