Thursday, 4 August 2011

Review: The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara

I don't usually buy InStyle magazine but when I saw that it came with a free Body Shop mascara I couldn't resist picking up a copy. As a mascara addict, I'm always in "need" of a new mascara and I've never tried one of The Body Shop's offerings before.

Photobucket

The Brush:
I'm not a huge fan of bristle brushes. I find them hard to use and hate how they cause messy mascara blogs around my eyes but the spiral design of this brush looked intriguing. I imagined that the closely packed bristles would give super-thick lashes. I was wrong. The brush needs multiple strokes before I get my desired lash look and while it doesn't result in too much mascara mess it is harder to reach the small corner lashes without blobbing product onto my eyelids.

The Product:
After getting used to this mascara I like the fanned out look it produces and how it slightly groups my lashes together to give a volumised appearance. The mascara is a rich, glossy black and doesn't smudge or flake off throughout the day. It's also easy to remove. The only downside to this mascara is the smell. It has a strange, hard-to-describe fragrance which seems to linger on my lashes, to the point where I get random wafts of it throughout the day. I thought I was imagining it the first time I wore this mascara but after a few days of wearing it I'm sad to say that the smell is very much real. I've never experienced this before with a mascara...I'm not usually aware of a mascara even having a particular scent. It's really odd.

Verdict:
The off-putting smell aside, this is a good everyday mascara but not one which creates dramatic enough results for my liking. It retails for £10 which I think is a little overpriced when compared with Maybelline and L'Oreal mascara offerings.

Have you used this mascara? What did you think?
Share:

16 comments

  1. I absolutely LOVE this mascara and can't describe enough how much it is perfect for me. I am never buying L'oreal and Maybelline products, because they heavily test on animals, so unless I go for a Chanel or MAC, I was at a dead's end with the mascara purchases. This one is just perfect! I love bristle brush and it really makes my eyelashes volumised. I am not really into trying to make them longer, because I naturally have long and thick lashes, but with Super Volume it seems I have them even more. With this InStyle deal I've bought 2 and I am confident they will last me ages! :) As for scent - weird, even though I've used it for 4 years, I've never smelled anything. Just a normal beauty product smell when you sniff the brush. ;)

    Sorry for such a rant, but this is one of my can't-live-without products! :) X

    http://www.mademoiselle-lala.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mademoiselle Lala - I'm really surprised that L'Oreal and Maybelline still test on animals. There's really no excuse for such big brands. That's so lucky that your favourite mascara was free with the mag (well, £3-odd but it's still a bargain). I'm really funny about how things smell so it could just be me being weird! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't! I think it looks really nice on you! :) Dramatic enough for me, plus TBS is cruelty free as opposed to Maybelline & L'oreal. So I'd pick this any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eyelashes are amazing! I've tried this mascara but it didn't do much for me...it definitely is overpriced for what it is! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have amazing lashes! The brush looks strange, I tend to shy away from weird brushes like this because they make such a mess around me eyes ):

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to use a Body Shop mascara and I remember thinking it was pretty good as well. I've never found my perfect mascara though. I'm slowly working my way through the brands, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to use body shop mascara and thought it was great, but didn't give me the full on lash effect that I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mascara looks nice and perfect for day time casualbut a tenner does seem a lot for the body shop. you can buy really good high street version for less


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love bodyshop, but sometimes I feel like I pay too much for a product that I could get somewhere else for half the price. Have you tried collection 2000 mascara? it's just amazingly cheap and a truly great mascara

    http://bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.com/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so unfair that European and Asian magazines always come with freebees! We never get anything with ours in the States :( The mascara looks amazing -- almost like false lashes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, i'm so jealous of your lashes! :D truly amazing!
    xoxo F
    http://itsnotjustabag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been hearing quite a lot about Body Shop cosmetics....might just give it a go :)

    BLEURGH
    http://say-bleurgh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually really like this mascara, I got it with Instyle mag too, and I love it. I've tried both L'oreal and Maybelline, and I thought both weren't very good, and now I know they test on animals I stay well away from them! I agree that there is a bit of a funny smell, but I don't notice it throughout the day luckily, and I've used mascaras before that have a smell, so it's not toooo bad for me xx
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought the magazine just so I could get my hands on this, and I'm not disappointed either :p! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! are your lashes real. sorry everyone prob asks you this! i dont think it would matter what you used as you have such amazing lashes. thanks for the review though

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig