Monday, 6 June 2011

Review: Rimmel Day 2 Night Mascara

Photobucket

I'd seen Rimmel's latest mascara offering "Day 2 Night" in Boots on a couple of recent visits (exam stress has seen Boots visits rather increase in frequency...still, it's on my way home from the library and cheaper than buying clothes) so it was a nice surprise to receive it in the post from Rimmel to review. You know how I love my mascara and I will never get bored of trying new ones and reviewing them.

Photobucket

My first thoughts are that this looks an awful lot like Mac's Haute & Naughty mascara, albeit an affordable, drugstore version.

The "Length" brush is rather delicate-looking with widely spaced bristles. It's doesn't pick up much product so gives a natural, feathery lash look. The "Volume" brush has much denser bristles and picks up a lot (and I mean a LOT) of mascara, giving a thick, volumised lash look.

Photobucket

Right: "Length" brush. Left: "Volume" brush.

As someone who likes their lashes to look super thick and dark whatever time of day it is, a product like this probably wouldn't appeal to me as I'd never use the "day" setting. While I keep most of my make-up fairly natural lashes are my "thing" and I can't imagine not having them as thick and black as can possibly be achieved with mascara. However, if you're someone who does prefer a natural look for day/work then this would be ideal as the "Length" brush provides a nice subtle look.

I will continue to use this mascara as I loved the end result with the "Volume" brush, nice thick dark lashes and no smudging or flaking. Another advantage of this mascara is that it can be easily built up without clumping, I found I got the best results when using the "Volume" brush first and then combing through with the "Length" brush to define and separate my lashes but it'd work the other way round if you used the "Length" brush for day and then topped it up before a night out.

Do you change your make-up from day to night?

I think I base mine more on my mood - if I want to wear a smokey eye or a red lip during the day then why not!
Share:

15 comments

  1. Looks good, I may give this a try. I tend to wear my make up depending on my mood too! I will a full on smokey eye during the day, or a bright red lip, I'm pretty fearless haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good!
    I tend to keep my make-up quite simple for day, just mascara, eyeliner and lipstick, but if I'm going out at night, I'll put on foundation/eyeshadow etc!
    Sirens and Bells
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it looks great!! Thanks for the review :D
    http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think your eyes/lashes would look fab with pretty much any mascara - they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool review, I always change my look from day to night. Love Sia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the pink packaging :) The 'length' effect looks really nice x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I like both looks on you. :)
    I normally wear the same make up day to night. But I do often go out with glitter on my face during the day, so I'm a bad example :P x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I really want to try this! Wow, they both look great on you :) I'm jealous of how long your lashes are! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i bought this last week and i love it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, really interesting review. I've never heard of this product! I don't really change my make-up, I probably add a bit more eyeliner but that's about it, haha.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, I've been wanting to check out this product for ages
    You're so luck you have such beautiful long pretty lashes, I can't imagine the "daytime" look doing me any justice but both look great on you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not going to lie, the mere fact Zooey advertised drew me in a little... nice to see it's a good product! Your eyelashes look great. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. at night i just add more eye liner and fake lashes!! I tried that 3 look Rimmel mascara last year....it wasn't great...i might try this instead xx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig