Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Good Hair Days & New Purchases

Something of a while ago, I attended a V05/TRESemme event at London's Soho Hotel. It was my first ever bloggers event and it was lovely to meet some of the people behind the blogs I read while playing with hair products and eating yummy minature food.

I came away with a big goodie bag of products which I'm slowly working my way through. My hair is naturally straight, not coloured and just, well, "normal" so I don't usually use that many products on it and wear it down 99% of the time. I only wash my hair twice a week (I'm not THAT lazy, it just doesn't need it!) so like products that are light and don't weigh my hair down. Since getting it cut last month I've tried to be a bit more adventurous with it as now I don't have split ends and tangles to contend with so it's been great having some new products to play around with. So far I'm loving:

Photobucket

TRESemme Salon Sleek Straightening Spray
This is great for when I want my hair to look a little more sleek and polished. I usually wear my hair quite loose and messy but sometimes I feel like I need to smarten up a bit and this spray leaves my hair soft and shiny without weighing it down. It contains Argan Oil which is currently a "big deal" ingredient in hair care so it's great to see an affordable brand using this in its products. I'd recommend this to anyone with long, normal-ish hair that wants it to look a bit sleeker. It'd be good to use before straigheners too if you want a super straight look although I don't think the product would be heavy-duty enough for those with very dry or frizzy hair.

Give Me Texture Tousled Style Spray
I'm a big fan of natural loose waves, especially in summer when you don't have the time or inclination to blow dry your hair. I usually dry my hair upside down, twist it into a messy bun until just before I leave the house and then un-do the bun to get natural-looking, heat-free waves. I usually use GHD's Salt Spray on damp hair to give hold and texture but since that ran out I've been using this instead. It gives a light hold, volume and doesn't leave my hair feeling sticky. I like the spray dispener as it applies the product really evenly and the product has a light but not over-powering scent. I don't think this gives as much hold as GHD's version but you could always use a bit of hairspray afterwards to retain the tousled effect. This would work on most hair types for a natural, textured look and I'll definitly be using it a lot this summer.

Beyond Blonde Shampoo & Conditioner
These smell gorgeous and I love the shape of the bottles (I like things to look nice in my shower). The formula contains avocado oil, argan oil, apricot oil, grape seed oil and jojoba oil and has "Adaptive Haircare Technology" to give the right level of nourishment for your hair. The shampoo foams up really well (I know the lather's just chemicals but I really don't like shampoos that don't foam up properly) and leaves my hair feeling nice and clean. The conditioner is quite light but does the job and helps to detangle my hair nicely. These would make great everyday haircare although if you have dry or coloured hair then you might need a deep conditioner too to give your hair extra moisture. At £3.50 for 500ml these are a great price too.

Photobucket

After being very strict with myself and not buying any new make-up, I caved in to Boots 3 for 2 offer to cheer myself up after an exam last week (I paid with my points so it wasn't really even spending money!). I got 17's Oil Control pressed powder as mine is almost finished (I feel like I should be upping my game to a "better" powder but this is the only one I've tried so far that keeps shine under control, doesn't make me break out and is cheap enough not to get upset when it drop it onto a tiled floor), Barry M Lip Paint in 153 "Pink Ribbon" which is a lovely bright summery pink and Barry M Nail Effects in pink as I've wanted to try a crackle polish for ages.

What are you favourite haircare products?
And have you taken advantage of the Boots 3 for 2 offer?
Share:

23 comments

  1. ooh i like that lipstick, if you get chance will you post some swatches? no worries if you can't :) love your blog as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 'Pink Ribbon', it was the first lipstick I fell in luuurrrvvveee with :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE TRESEmme products! I have heat spray, daily shampoo and conditioner and also anti-frizz serum (for split ends). They are just amazing and really improve the condition of your hair! X



    P.S. Don’t forget about my giveaway!

    http://mademoiselle-la-la.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try the vo5 (aragon? That sounds llike a lord of the rings character I'm sure I've got that wrong) oil and the powder that makes your hair big - I forget names!

    Tempted to try the give me texture spray aswell

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh lovely little treats. Love the nail polish I'm yet to try the nail effects xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the three for two to get the two new crackles and another nail varnish. Is your hair naturally straight? I find it hard for sprays to create natural waves in mine because it doesn't hold any style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ JenKissesApples - I'll be doing a "Lipstick Loving" post on it soon as it's become one of my favourite lipsticks!

    @ Hannah - it's a lovely shade, so glad I picked it up.

    @ Mademoiselle Lala - I've never tried TresEmme shampoos or conditioners but really want to after trying some of their styling products.

    @ Eloise - It always makes me think of the Lord of the Rings character too! The texture powder is really good, you only need a tiny amount and it makes such a difference.

    @ Rebecca - I can't wait to get round to using the nail effects, really hope it works for me!

    @ Phoebe - gotta love the 3 for 2 offers! My hair's naturally straight but quite coarse so it tends to go into waves quite easily with a bit of product and scrunching!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love the sound of the Tresemme straightening spray. Tresemme has always been a brand that I've not really paid much attention to, but I think I will be now! That Barry M lip paint looks like a gorge colour :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want the pink Barry M crackle effect polish - so bored of the black one now, and it's not very summery!
    I used the 17 Shine Control powder until I splashed out for a MAC MSFN, which I do prefer but the 17 one is still fab.
    I'm resisting the 3 for 2 :-( on a drug store ban.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. that lipstick has a beautifull colour!nice choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Joy - it's definitely worth checking out some of their products, the straightening spray is really nice.

    @ princesselfy - well done on resisting the 3 for 2! I hadn't bought anything new in so long so it was nice to treat myself but still have far too much make-up!

    @ Despina T - it's such a nice pink for summer, know I'm going to use it a lot!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss boots!!! I LIVE by the shine control powder in your pic. I've tried other high end powders but most are more like foundations and are too much to apply as and when throughout the day. Whenever I have friends/family to visit me in Malta I always get them to bring me a few pots!!

    xx
    Visit the Other Side of Cool

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need some new powder and used to love that boots brand I may pick some up again. Love the colour of the Barry M nail varnish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lipstick looks lovely, I will have to go and have a look at that! Thanks for the product reviews too...I'm going on a mission to Boots! :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOoh I love the lipstick! I must admit I'm a bit of a lipstick Virgin (Which I know is ridiculous for a blogger) but I actually really love that colour. I'm looking for something to add a bit of colour to my face quickly and I think that may be my 1st used lipstick! I'll be off to superdrug after work! xxx

    http://livelaughlovept1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. No i havent taken advantage! Silly me! I know there are some gorgeous things i want :)

    Thanks for your comment, im glad you like it!
    Whats your favourite piece?
    www.clashingtime.blogspot.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the look of the lippie and varnish, both very nice colours


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ theothersideofcool - I think Boots would be the thing I'd miss the most if I moved abroad (err, sorry mum and dad!)

    @ Laura - it's such a good powder and an amazing price.

    @ Maria - hope you got some nice treats in Boots :)

    @ Sadie - it'd definitely be a good first lipstick, it's so easy to wear and a bargain too!

    @ Pippa - I love all the dresses in the collection but think the blue floral one is my fave. The vintage-inspired scarves are great too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. great post! I just use this bedhead stuff in my hair which makes it look shiny. although hardly ever, I'm so slack!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI U HAVE A NICE BLOG.... I LOVE BARRY M I EVEN GOT A BARRY M BADGE LOL LOVE THE COLOR OF THE LIP STICK AND I MUST CHECK OUT THE SHINE CONTROL POWDER!

    I invite you to visit my blog if you like:http://euqinom7.blogspot.com/

    RECENT BANANA DIY

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog!! I love the new VO5 range I've been using "Revive Me Daily" quite regularly. I just got there "Plump it up" Weightless Mousse so I'm looking forward to trying that:)

    Laura<3
    http://all-made-up-21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig