Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Review: Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner

I've been in need of a new eyeliner for a while and while I am fond of my L'Oreal Superliner I wanted to try something different. My Boots advantage points have also been building up so when I saw Maybelline's Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Boots I snapped it up and paid with 599 of my hard-earned advantage points.

I've never tried a gel liner before so I didn't really know what to expect with this one. The pot is quite small but it probably has more product in it than a typical liquid liner. I like how there's a brush provided - unlike most drugstore products this brush is actually pretty decent. I swatched the eyeliner using the flat side of the brush and the tip which gives a thick or thin line depending on your preferences (I like a thick-ish line).

Photobucket

The liner was really easy to apply and it dried instantly unlike my usual liquid liner. It isn't as black as my L'Oreal Superliner and not as glossy but for daytime it defined my eyes nicely.

Photobucket

Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner, Clinque High Lengths mascara, UDPP, Elf Undereye Concealer

Lasting Drama?

Maybelline promises 24 hour wear and while I always take my make-up off before bed and don't quite make 24 hours I definitely want a product that lasts well and doesn't fade throughout the day. One of my favourite things about the L'Oreal Superliner is that it looks just as good at midnight as it does at 8am when I apply it (unlike the rest of my make-up).

I applied Maybelline's liner at 8am and by lunchtime it had transferred a little onto my crease but this was nothing that a quick swipe with my finger couldn't remedy. By 8pm, however, the liner had really faded and had smudged even more onto my crease. By midnight when I finally got round to taking my make-up off the "black" liner was now a dull, faded grey.

My verdict:

I loved the application of this product and the thick line it gave. While I was disappointed that it didn't live up to it's long-lasting promise I will continue to use this but will definitely keep it with me for touch-ups if I'm going out in the evening. For £5.99 I'm glad that I've now tried a gel liner but I think I'll be sticking with my liquid liner in the future.

Have you tried this product? And do you prefer gel or liquid liners?
Share:

22 comments

  1. This is also the first gel liner I've ever used so wasn't sure to expect. It is long lasting for a high street brand but I have found that by the end of the day, the flick starts to fade ever so slightly. but it's still impressive for a high street brand. What is disppointing though is that Maybelline always go OTT with their advertising, 24 hour, my arse! Haha. And their blooming mascara adds really put me off them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have just done a review of avon supershock gel liner on my blog and i love that. I do find gel liners irritate my eyes and they water like crazy.

    I do prefer the thin shape and crisp line you get from a liquid liner and at other time i like the thicker more blendable line i get from my gel liner so i suppose i like both. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lily! I absolutely can't use liquid or gel eyeliners, but I've heard a lot about this one. Loo9ks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this because honestly a Gel seemed too intimidating for me haha! I will totally be sticking to liquid too x

    myheartstumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ DesignerSpray - Drugstore brands do seem to make rather unrealistic claims for their products...I think it can make them look a little tacky, especially when the product doesn't live up to the claim.

    @ Steph - that's annoying that they irritate your eyes. I haven't had any problems with this one and the blendable nature of it is great for if you make a mistake!

    @ Reyna - thank you.

    @ GABY - thank you :) I keep seeing adverts for this since buying it, not seen many blog reviews yet though!

    @ Kirsty - gel liner is easier to use than I thought it'd be but I still find myself reaching for my liquid liner more often!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abslolutely love this review, thanks for sharing it! I usually hate liquid eyeliner, i just use penicl. Looks like i may have to try this :)
    Really like your blog, care to follow one another perhaps? Definately following you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh i love it, im always looking for a good eyeliner!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! It looks really nice on you! :)
    I kept wanting to try this, but I'm awful with liquid liners so I thought I'd just make a mess with it! I think the long brush might make it easier though x

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice :)
    xx
    the cookies
    www.samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com
    visit & follow if you like <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, I was curious about this but think I'll give it a miss if it doesn't last well. I've never tried a gel eyeliner but I do love my liquid eyeliner for darkening my lashline and defining my eyes x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like gel eyeliners - I actually like the Maybelline Eyestudio one instead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a helpful review! I couldn't live life without my liquid liner but I've wanted to check out the gel type for a while now, I'm disappointed to hear that they don't last long but it looks really great on you

    www.whatrajwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice product, I would to try :)

    María
    http://urbanita-m.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made the same experience like you with gel eyeliners! I prefer liquid liner, too :)
    xoxo F
    http://itsnotjustabag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried gel liner! Not sure I would buy this now, not because it only lasted until 8pm but because of the colour! I like mine black black!

    We're now following you- please follow us back! :)

    Tara (& J)

    www.thestylerawr.com

    XoX

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought this too & found it lasted all day when I applied to my upper & lower waterline. I haven't tried it on my eyelids yet, but I think I will so I can test that for myself. Great review x

    Catherine x

    www.beautyblogbycat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen. I think mac do the best gel eyeliner. x hivennn

    ReplyDelete
  18. IMO gel eyeliner is much easier to apply than liquid eyeliner & way less messy, too. I like both, I prefer gel for everyday & liquid for a night out or special looks.
    I'm not sure if the Maybelline eyeliner is available in Germany, I mostly use MAC & Essence, but I've one from Bobbi Brown & I think it's the best - but unfortunately the most expensive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic review, thank you for sharing! I really like your blog, will follow you! Ciao from Italy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this gel eyeliner.Can't imagine life without it.
    BTW you have a lovely blog.I'm following you.Please visit my blog www.beautyandblog.com and do follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your eyes look great :)

    xelliealicex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig