Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Something Old, Something(s) New

I've always loved hunting in charity shops for bargains and unique finds. I've recently discovered the YMCA charity shop in my town and am now always popping in - I've recently bought a 1970s vintage dress for £8, a brand new pair of suede loafers for £6 and my current favourite find:

Photobucket

This handbag was only £2. It's real leather and very similar to the cute little leather bags I'd been admiring in Topshop the day before. The only downside? No, not the "charity shop" smell but the lack of a handle.

I was on another bargain hunting mission in Matalan and came across this hairband for £3. By knotting the ends of the hairband onto the metal loops where the bag's handle would once have been I have a lovely unique bag for only £5.

As for something(s) new...I've been looking for some new basic tops for ages. I used to get all my basic t-shirts from Zara but they've changed the style since I bought mine and I no longer like them...I fell in love with Topshop's button town sleeveless blouses on a visit to the Oxford Circus store but didn't one as £18 for a basic top felt a bit ridiculous. After not being able to find any other tops I remotely liked, and some encouragement from my mum that I "have to wear something" I snapped up 4 of them in a range of colours:

Photobucket

Yes, it did feel painful spending £72 on basic tops but these really will go with everything and should mean that I can wear my skirts and shorts without spending ages looking for a suitable top to wear with them.

What're your latest charity shop finds?
Share:

11 comments

  1. Great idea for the bag, it looks great!
    I love those tops! Wish I could afford Topshop prices atm but £18 seems a bit expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is gorgeous!

    http://beautyaddictanonymous.blogspot.com/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hayley - Yeah, £18 is a bit ridiculous for plain tops but hopefully they will become wardrobe staples (and won't fall apart after a couple of wears)!

    @ R. - thank you :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bargain of a bag, and great idea with the handle.
    Topshop is so overpriced, the only time I go in there is to browse the sale, shame really as those blouses, especially the camel are lovely.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! I wish I could find great things like that at charity shops! I'm horrible at shopping in themmm x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous bag! Great idea about the handle, I wouldn't have even noticed it wasn't originally with the bag if you hadn't of said :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kelly - I used to get such amazing bargains in the Topshop sale back when they did buy one get one free. Wish they still did!

    @ leiladarling - thanks :) Persistance definitely pays off with charity shops.

    @ Gemx - thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw those tops at the weekend, they're really sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those tops but I have just signed a contract with my bf saying I will not buy anything without his permission for the next 6wks as I just bought a £75 Maxi dress from Topshop :( Sigh! XxX

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow bg envy! So pretty and so cheap! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou for your comment lovely, I will check out the bright eyes now. Lovely post, I love all of those topshop blouses.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig