Friday, 4 February 2011

How Much Does Your Face Cost?

January seems to be a month of new starts, diets (celebrity work-out DVD, anyone?) and saving money. As boring as it is, I need to start saving more and being more mindful of what I spend on clothes and make-up...I can really feel "proper" adulthood looming and need to start being more financially responsible and stop wasting money. Booo. I don't think I bought any new make-up during January so I guess that's a start!

I had a huge clearout of my make-up the other day and dread to think of how much the make-up I threw out had cost me, let alone what I actually kept and use. I saw this post on Abbie's blog and thought it'd be interesting to give it a go...

So this is how my "daily face" has been looking lately:

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are the products I've been using, I do swap around the lipsticks and eye shadows but this is pretty much my basic, day time look.

Items used:

No 7 Mattifying Base £11
Miss Make-up Eyelash Curlers £4.99
Carmex Cherry Lipbalm £2.99
No 7 Instant Radiance Concealer £13.50
17 Pressed Powder £3.99
Rimmel Hide The Blemish Concealer £4.49
Clinique All Over Colour in Plum Poppy £23.50
Nars Blusher in Nico £19.50
Urban Decay Primer Potion £12
NYX Smokey Eyes Palette £8.99
L'Oreal Superliner £6.99
Benefit Eye Bright £14 (free with Glamour)
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara £8.19 (free with Australian InStyle)
Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Sweetie £4.49 (competition prize)

Total Cost = £138.62

Wow, let's hope that my make-up bag doesn't get lost or stolen (one of my friends had her make-up bag stolen, it happens) as that's how much it'd cost to replace everything. I'm sure a lot of those products have gone up in price since I bought them/started using them...didn't Hide The Blemish used to be £1.99?!

While £138.62 sounds like a lot (and IS a lot) of money, I've had some of the products for a couple of years and quite a few on the list I didn't actually pay for (yeah, I admit it, my make-up collection is the result of a little shoplifting habit..). I'm also quite surprised as to how many products I actually put on my face each day...my list may be shorter than some make-up addicts but I always think of myself as someone who "doesn't wear that much make-up". Doing this has definitely been an eye-opener and hopefully will keep me on track with my attempt at frugality!

How much does your "face" cost you? If you've worked it out, were you surprised?
Share:

23 comments

  1. Mine's normally less than 5quid, depending on my daily choice of lipbalm! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a similar kind of month, my total was £75! Not too bad but I have to buy most of these things every 2 months....eeeek! I'd rather have a pair of shoes to be honest! x

    http://emerald-doodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I dread to count up how much mine comes to. Like you, I don't think I wear a lot of make up, but when I count things up I seem to put a lot on my face for a 'natural' look! :P
    Btw I love your earrings, bows are cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You wouldn't ever think it would cost that much, i'm gonna try and work mine out at some point soon.

    I love your eyes btw!
    Their so big and bright! :)
    x

    www.xsantyx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, it's crazy how expensive the total is. I can imagine mine would be a lot too, what's worse is I don't use half of the make up products I own :S xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa!! The no 7 mattifying base really is awesome though...
    I can't even wear make-up at the mo because it is too hot and I just sweat it all off, argh! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always again amazed by your big blue eyes! Love the little bow earrings you're wearing, very cute :)
    xoxo F
    http://itsnotjustabag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this idea of a post
    Also its great that use use a mixture of drugstore and high end makeup :) x

    http://peachesxomakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Jenny - wow, that makes me feel like I wear far too much make-up!

    @ Cowbiscuits - It's really scary when you add it all up, maybe better to not think about how much it all costs...

    @ Ash - I think I'd prefer shoes to more make-up right now too...probably a better investment!

    @ Gemx - thank you, they're from Miss Selfridge :)

    @ Stefany - I probably use about a quarter of what I own...so bad!

    @ Lydia - Lee - thank you :)

    @ Charlotteemmahawkins - I've been using it for years now! A tube of it just seems to last forever and it definitely works (although maybe not when its 40 degrees!)

    @ Franzi - thank you :)

    @ Gemma - I try to mix it up a bit - and some drugstore products are really just as good.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fabulous idea! Definitely a huge eye opener...
    I did my version : http://rebeccalucyh.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-much-does-your-face-cost.html
    Really love your blog, now following :)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great, I'm going to work mine out now :)

    www.look-flyingmonkeys.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. In reply to above ^ You honestly don't wear too much, I just don't wear any tbh! So lucky the Colour Effects worked for you- I don't think I leave them on long enough :( x

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Rebecca Lucy - thanks for linking me to your post. And thanks for following :)

    @ LOOK! - looking forward to reading your post on this!

    @ Jenny - I left the Colour Effects on for about 15 minutes although they're always going to make more of a difference to lighter hair. Still, not bad for 99p!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, it's much more than I would have expected! You should get your calculator out and work out how much it costs a day! :P
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your make up looks gorgeous and I adore the lip colour!! I don't wear make up much but that doesn't stop me from buying it, oops!! I'm a fan of brands like Benefit and Mac and whilst they aren't the most expensive around prices do add up so I dread to think what it all costs!! I need to stop buying so many clothes!!


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Sophie Isobel - I haven't bought any new make-up since I did this so I think adding it all up has made me realise that I've already spent far too much on make-up! I think my cost per day would be really low as it takes me forever to use up a product!

    @ Hannah - thanks, it's the only lip colour I'm reaching for at the moment! I love Mac but it is pricey...although I'd happily spend the same amount on 4 or 5 drugstore products as it somehow feels less extravagant!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh i love this post and i am going to have to do one too. i am cringing at how much mine will add up to........ !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your lashes are incredible! Love the post - I may count mine up 2!!! :) XxX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, it really makes you think doesn't it?!
    I had my makeup bag stolen once, i'd just bought the YSL touche eclait and was so proud of it because I felt so grown up haha :) I was very sad the day I realised it was gone :(
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm too scared to do a post like this. I'm afraid of figuring out how much money I spend on makeup.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig