Sunday, 5 September 2010

Rimmel Lash Accelerator - 30 Day Challenge

I was recently sent Rimmel's new Lash Accelerator mascara. It came in a "top secret" looking black envelope as the product was not yet for sale. It's now available in Superdrug on offer for £6.99.


























The mascara claims to make lashes appear 80% longer on application and, with 30 days of use 117% longer. Now, I haven't done maths since my school days, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a 100% increase mean that something has doubled?? If so, I'm not sure if I want my lashes to increse by 117&...I have pretty long lashes anyway so they'll be a danger that I won't be able to see or that I'll knock people out with my super-long lashes. Maths aside, I'm sceptical that a product that you put on your lashes (as opposed to lash serums like Lilash and Rapid Lash that are applied to the lash roots) can make any differene to their growth. Imagine if a similar product existed for hair...we'd surely all have Repunzel-esque locks by now?

So, claims and scepticism aside, I'm embarking on the "30 Day Lash Challenge" and, rather than measuring my lashes which could be difficult (do I even own a ruler these days?) and would require my lashes to fall out in order to be measured, I'll stick to good old-fashioned photos.

First things first, the mascara itself. The most important thing I look for in a mascara is the brush. I like flexible rubber brushes the most as I find they give me the most control and allow every lash to be coated. This mascara has a bristle brush but the brush is narrow and the short bristles easily coat my lashes without leaving dots of mascara all over my eyelids. The centre of the brush is slightly larger which is great for adding more mascara to the lashes in the centre of my lid while using the thinner sections of the brush for my inner and outer corner lashes.















The formula. The mascara is the perfect consistency - not too wet and gloopy without being dry. The brush comes out of the tube clean of gunk and doesn't need wiping on a tissue before applying to my lashes. One coat gives a clean, separated look without clumping. I apply two coats to give blacker, thicker looking lashes and I like how the wand is small enough to coat my lower lashes without clumping them. The mascara is a "true black", it doesn't dry to a dull powdery grey like some do.

I've been using this mascara for five days now and I really like it. Claims aside, this is a great mascara and I prefer it to the other mascaras Rimmel have send me - Volume Flash and 1-2-3 Looks. For £6.99 this is a great buy and time will tell whether it does increase the length of my lashes.

My natural, mascara free lashes:










Day 1, two coats of Lash Accelerator:










Other make-up used: ELF Undereye Concealer, Benefit It Stick, Urban Decay Primer Potion, L'Oreal Superliner.



















I'll keep you updated on my lash challenge.

Have you tried Lash Accelerator or any of the other eyelash enhancing products that are about at the moment?

PS. Do you like my new header? Fern made it for me - check out her blog here :)
Share:

17 comments

  1. Can't wait to see if it works. It looks great on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck for the challenge!
    your header is fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh interesting - it looks like a nice mascara so I'll be interested to see how it goes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So far, this mascara gives you amazing lashes! Can't wait to see your final verdict (=

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i love this post because I'm obsessed with my eyelashes but they are so short. I hope this thing actually works for you because if it does I'm getting it too. I love your blog and would love for you to follow my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your header, i'm looking forward to seeing what the results are like with this mascara.
    I've tagged you on my blog :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon your blog and I must say, Wow your lashes are amazing, can't wait to see what your overall thoughts are on this mascara :) xx

    I'm new to blogger so please feel free to check out my blog, it would be much appreciated :)
    http://beautyduty26.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like it, but severe lack of volume when I use it! great post though xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a brilliant mascara! Love your eyes btw! Tagged you in a little post if you wanna have a look :):

    http://xxcmgxx.blogspot.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'll be interested to hear how their claims match up to what you see wearing it everyday - let us know how your lashes look on day 30!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your lashes are soooo long even without makeup - lucky girl! ps i found your blog through christina and its fab! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey your lashes are soooo long even without makeup...I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good on you, it will be interesting to see if it gives you longer lashes x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to try this product, I've read great reviews about it (^_^)

    http://becksmakeupcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can O have you eyelashes please! So pretty x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Day 10...I'm still loving this mascara. Update post to come soon :)
    Thanks for all your comments - it really makes me smile to read them. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this mascara, im not sure if it did any lasting results to my lashes.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig