Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Supermarket Sweep?

Aldi probably isn't the first shop that comes to mind when you're looking for make-up. I wasn't even aware that they had a make-up range until a recent sweets-buying trip with friends led to me throwing a £1.99 Lacura Lipstick into our shopping trolley.






















The Lacura range offered 5 shades. I chose a rose pink which looked quite natural and inoffensive.

The packaging is shiney silver and does look slightly cheap but it's far better than the white plastic of the Natural Collection lipsticks which are the same price.

What do I think?

The lipstick has a slight chemically smell but it's far less strong than Rimmel's Colour Show Off lipstick. It applies smoothly and at first there's little colour pay-off, it takes a few swipes to get it to show up but when it does the colour is pretty and I like it far more than I was expecting too. The lipstick lasts for a good amount of time - a couple of hours before I have to reapply and doesn't dry out my lips.


















Top: one swipe
Bottom: 4-5 swipes


























I was pleasantly surprised by this product. It's good quality and no worse than most of the other drug store lipsticks I own. However, it did make me think about why make-up appeals in the first place and why we rush out to spent £10+ on lipsticks by certain brands when really, are they that much better to justify spending five times as much? While this seems shallow to admit, I much prefer whipping out my Viva Glam Gaga to reapply then I would do this...and I'm not sure quite why that is. Do expensive products actually work better? Or do we just feel like they do and really want to convince ourselves that yes, this is a better product because it's by a certain brand/limited edition/has Lady Gaga's name scrawled across it?

Have you tried any of Aldi's make-up range? And are you a high end or bargain make-up fan?
Share:

7 comments

  1. I don't have a Aldi near me but if i did i think i would try it out. I don't have much high end make-up, most of mine is from No7, Elf, and mid-priced brands.

    I think i'm pulled into thinking that because something has a bigger price, it makes it better. Over the last few weeks i have found that cheaper things can work the same, or even better sometimes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know aldi sold makeup either x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a bargain! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely on you! :) not bad for aldi and I agree natural collections white packaging needs to change! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried any Aldi make up yet (I don't think my local store stocks them, boo!) but I remember reading a great review a while back of their concealer. Have you tried it?

    http://make-me--beautiful.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this in two shades, those are the only 2 shades my Aldi had and they were just 99 cents a piece. I did a review of 200 Cool Sand shade on my blog recently and the other shade I got is Truffle. These are pretty good for the price. I'm a saver and drugstore brand lover.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig