Thursday, 6 May 2010

Review: Rimmel 1-2-3 Looks Mascara





















This is Rimmel's latest addition to their mascara range. I first saw this in Boots a few weeks ago and thought it looked interesting, if a little odd - how can one mascara give three different looks?

Here's what Rimmel say:

Rimmel’s new breathtaking mascara is so innovative and sophisticated, it lets you dial up the look you want in an instant. Hot? Hotter? Hottest? Simply twist the dial to turn up the glam.
With its breakthrough twistable pack, 1-2-3 Looks Mascara lets you customise your lashes. Level 1 gives you up to three times more volume – a subtly seductive daytime look. If you’re looking for more volume, turn the dial to 2 for up to five times fuller lashes. And for the ultimate wow factor, switch to level 3 – that’s up to 10 times more volume. Fabulous full-on glamour has arrived and we’re not letting go.


I recently applied to join the Rimmel London VIP club - I was on their emailing list anyway and had won a mascara from them last year so thought it was worth a shot! A couple of weeks ago I received a questionnaire to fill in and on Monday I received my first product!

So, what do I think of 1-2-3 Looks Mascara?

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of the packaging, it looks quite chunky and the twistable dial doesn't look too sophisticated but, that said, some of my favourite mascaras (Maybelline Great Lash and Maybelling Colossal) have very garish packaging and so a book should not be judged by it's cover (or should that be a mascara should not be judged by it's tube?).

Before using the mascara I tried out the different settings - twisting the barrel opens up a small gap in the tube which determines how much mascara ends up on the brush. At settling 1 the brush bristles look quite defined while at setting 3 it's clear that there is a lot more product on the bristles.

Application:

The small brush means that this mascara reaches every lash, the black is nicely pigmented and it gives the thick, volumised look that I like. The finished effect is quite similar to L'Oreal Voluminous but the smaller brush means that application is much easier.

The 3 settings do give different looks although I've been mostly using setting 3 as I like big, dark, dramatic lashes for day or night!

My rating:

4/5 - an easy to apply mascara that gives a good volume, strong pigment and doesn't smudge. I'm not sure how the 1-2-3 setting will fair with prolonged use but it does live up to its claim of giving a range of looks. It's also easy to remove and lasts all day without smudging. I'm really pleased I got to try this out as I don't think it's something I would have picked up myself!

I think this retails for £7.99 although it may still be on special offer at the moment.

*This product was sent to me by Rimmel but this has not affected my opinion of it. All comments are my honest opinion as always*
Share:

5 comments

  1. This sort of product would really get on my nerves as im one of them people who would just use the high setting as i wouldnt see the point in having short lashes, i would just keep it big as possible :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting product, the advert really confused me coz they didn't really explain how it gives 3 different looks. Seems a good idea, but I know I'd just have it on 3 all the time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lisa - I think I'll keep it on 3 all the time!

    @ Peonies - You're right - it is a good idea but I think most people want thick lashes all the time! I don't really vary my day/night make-up enough to need different mascara thicknesses...even so, it's a pretty good volumising mascara anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm your 100th follower :) Congrats!

    Love the post. Might have to try this mascara out too!

    Tx
    http://loveterri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig