Monday, 12 April 2010

Stuck in a make-up rut? Don't be!

One of my favourite things about beauty blogging is seeing the looks that other bloggers create - it's so inspiring and there are a lot of very talented girls out there! With my own make-up, however, I find that it's really easy to fall into a routine of applying exactly the same products every single day. I know what suits me after a fair few years of experimenting (gothic black eyeliner, sticky pink lipglosses, green mascara, anyone? Thought not!) and know that pinkly blusher, bronze eyeshadows, lashings of black mascara and neutral lips is always a good look for me. But...sometimes a girl needs a change so I thought I'd show you some recent looks I've been experimenting with - let me know what you think!

Pink and Black Eyes






















This look was slightly 80s inspired - I'm loving the new series of Ashes to Ashes and DI Drake always looks amazing so I thought I'd give this look a try.

On my eyes I used:

ELF All Over Colour Stick in Pink Lemondade all over my lips
The pale and medium pink shades from my No 7 Palette (See the palette here)
Agnes B black khol pencil along upper and lower lashline
Maybelline Volum' Express mascara


Flicky Liner

















For this look I concentrated on my lashes and the liner. I rarely use black liquid liner as it can look quite harsh against my pale skin but I really like the effect it gives.

I used:

Urban Decay Primer Potion
The silver shadow from my No 7 Palette
L'Oreal Superliner in Carbon Gloss
L'Oreal Voluminous mascara

I had fallen slightly out fo love with Voluminous but when I have the time to apply it properly it does give really dark, thick lashes.


And finally....a change for my hair too!

I have naturally straight hair so most days (actually, pretty much EVERY day) I just wear it down with the front clipped back with kirby grips. I cannot stand hair in my face so have to clip it back or it just annoys me - I have so much admiration for girls with fringes!
























For this look, I prepped my bair with Mark Hill Heat Protection Spray (see the review below) and curled my hair using GHDs (I'm home from university for Easter so it's great being able to raid my mum's beauty supplies!). I finished my separating the curls, lightly backcombing the roots and crown and spraying with GHD Salt Spray to give a matte, textured look. The curls lasted all day and I'll definitely be trying this look out again as it made a nice change from straight hair and felt nice and summery too.

What new make-up looks have you tried out lately?
Share:

11 comments

  1. Love all the looks you created and your hair looks really nice! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks pretty curly :)

    Is that dress from New Look? I think it's one I bought online & then had to take back - disappointed!

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hair! and the new make up looks. You are right about being inspired by blogs.

    Have you got false lashes on?? if so good job they look really natural. If not, OMG I am so jealous of your lashes!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  4. @heartshapedbruise - Yes, the dress is from New Look - I've worn it quite a few times now. It's great for when I'm going out in the day and don't have time to get changed before the evening.

    @ Kel - they're my real lashes! I spent far longer than usual applying mascara for these looks which is why they're so thick here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's insane, you're like the cutest creature ever. <3 I'm sure you could kill someone with those fabulous lashes, eh eh. I also love seeing other girls' make up. I don't necessarly reproduce (to each their eyeshape and what fit you won't fit me) but it's indeed very inspirational. Actually I'm more inspired by energy and style. :)

    It might be springy, sunny and all, I've been in a total black make up phase lately (black smokey and beige lips). Very weird. I'm never really in tune with seasons, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have great lashes! envy over here.
    nice fresh looks, nothing overkill, the looks suit you well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its so true about getting stuck in a rut but blogs are a great source of inspiration. All the looks you've tried really suits you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your gorgeous waves and flicky liner - very retro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such beautiful lashes, and love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these looks are great and I especially like the wavy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great look! You have such large beautiul eyes...I do get stuck in a makeup rut, but I guess that's because on a day-to-day basis I tend to just wear the same look over and over...And honestly with how boring my life is there isn't that much room for experimentation with looks! I love how some of the youtubers have these really creative looks, but I could never wear them out LOL! Sometimes I do experiment though, in the privacy of my room. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig